Jenoptik is an international photonics group with representatives in over 80 countries. Optical technologies are the foundation of our business. We employ around 4,000 people worldwide.
Join our team and help to shape our future with lasting effect.
Controls Engineering Lead
Reference number: 3108
Location: Rochester Hills, MI
The Controls Engineering Lead is responsible for the Controls Hardware, PLC, HMI, and Startup on assigned projects. The Controls Engineering Lead will oversee the work performed on his/her project to ensure on-time completion, to the customer specifications, and within the project scope and budget. The employees assigned to the Controls Engineering Leads could change from project to project and include a combination of internal colleagues or external contractors.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILIITIES (Include but not limited to):
- Review customer specifications and ensure designs are within specifications
- Participate in internal project reviews and meetings
- Interface with Project Management, Mechanical Design Team, and Assembly Team to ensure quality design and build
- Create hardware designs in AutoCAD or EPlan format
- Oversee and check Controls Designs when executed by others for release and buyoff activities
- Conduct design buyoff reviews
- Create PLC and HMI programs according to customer specifications
- Provide recommendations on team size and performance to the Controls Engineering Manager
- Ensure project milestones are maintained
- Answer questions from electricians and pipefitters and provide design markups when needed
- Ensure safety systems function as designed
- Troubleshoot complex systems
- Oversee projects to successful buyoff with the customer
- Must demonstrate proven leadership skills including the ability to be assertive and handle conflict effectively
- Track deliverables and purchased components for on time delivery
- Report controls design progress on assigned project(s) to project management and management team.
- Hardware and software design deliverables at key milestones
- PLC back-ups periodically throughout the project and at the completion of the job.
- Functioning system per customer specifications.
- Development of programming standards when a customer standard does not exist.
- Prepare Engineering Change cost estimates for controls scope changes.
- Achievement of all project performance and timeline milestones
- Motivated individual.
- Pragmatic, respectful leader with demonstrated ability to guide and influence others towards a common goal and objective.
- Expert level communication, presentation, and interpersonal skills.
- Active listener who is assertive, authentic, and communicates with open mindedness, empathy, and clarity.
- Ability and willingness to work overtime, travel, and work at customer sites.
Qualified candidates will possess:EXPERIENCE AND QUALIFICATIONS:
- AutoCAD, AutoCAD Electrical and EPlan experience
- PLC programming experience with Allen Bradley ControlLogix 5000, Siemens Step7, TIA Portal, and Omron controllers.
- HMI programming experience with Allen Bradley FactoryTalk and Siemens WinCC
- Engineering or Engineering Technology/Technician degree, or related field of study and/or equivalent industry experience.
- 10+ years of relevant experience.
- Robotic programming experience would be considered a strong asset.
- Vision system experience would be considered a strong asset.
- Ability to travel for business both domestically and internationally
The physical requirements described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally required to stand; walk; sit; use of hands or fingers to handle, or feel objects, tools or controls and keyboarding; reach with hands and arms; climb stairs; balance; stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl; talk and hear.
The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by the job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
Work environment characteristics described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is not exposed to weather conditions and the noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
Have we made you interested in this position?
If so, we look forward to receiving your online application.
Should you need any further information, please do not hesitate to contact us.